Thursday, April 3, 2008

"What's that, eh?"

Here at the office there is an employee that I just can NOT understand. Literally. When he says something to me I always wind up botching it up and make a comment that is totally irrelevant to what he's said or try to cover with an "Mm-hmm" or a "ha-ha". As he is from England there is a slight accent, but the real kicker is that he mumbles. Most of the time he mumbles something to me as he is passing by, but if I can't see his face then I am up a creek without a paddle. Half the time I don't even know how to respond to him as I'm still standing there just trying to decipher what he said.

Anywho, this morning he came waltzing through the lobby and made some comment (aka-mumbled noises) about the day. As I'm standing there with a blank look on my face, racking my brain trying to figure out what he gurgled, I opt for the easy out. I smile, nod, and say "yeah..." A safe remark, right? Wrong. As he came in for a closer encounter, I'm beginning to think---oh no, what did I just say "yeah" to?!

Sometimes it's just better to look busy and ignore.

No comments: