Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sorry, Wrong Number

On my way home from work today my sister phoned me and told me she had just gotten off the phone with our cousin. He informed her of a call he had made last week to the establishment we work at, and as she went on to tell me about it, the puzzling phone call I received last week all started to make sense. It finally dawned on me as to who it was I'd been talking to and I burst into a fit of giggles. Here's an example of how the phone call went: (J.A.=Judith Anne, M.V.= Mystery Voice)

J.A.- "Thank you for calling, how may I direct your call?"
M.V.- "I'd like to talk to Storm."
J.A.-"Storm? I'm sorry, we don't have anyone by that name here."
M.V.- "No, I want to talk to Storm."
J.A.- (pause-pause-pause) "Do you have a last name for that person?"
M.V.- (exasperated sigh) "Can I talk to Pam then?" (I seriously thought he said Tam, like the lady that cuts my hair. Tahhhh!)
J.A.- "Pam? Ummm, we don't have anyone by that name here."
M.V.-"Are you sure? I think she's dating Jim."
J.A.- (still not ringing a bell) "No, I'm sorry. I think you have the wrong number."
M.V.- (silence...........) "Okay." Click.

And that was it. I remember sitting at my desk with a furrowed brow, wracking my brain trying to figure out what just happened. At first the name "Storm" didn't mean much because we've had some pretty wild names at work, such as "Athena", so I was trying to think of past employees. How wrong I was! My ever clever cousin was making reference to my previous stories posted on my blog and I was clueless as ever when he called. Not only did I not recognize his voice but I didn't put two and two together about the people he was asking for.

When my sister told me it was our cousin who had prank called the office last week I couldn't help but laugh. It finally made sense! That call had left me with a perplexed look on my face but was quickly tossed away with a shrug of the shoulders. Pahhhhhh! Funn-nay!

No comments: