Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Latest Hair-Chop

I have been getting my hair cut by a little Vietnamese lady for years now, but after leaving the salon yesterday, I felt like I'd gotten more of a hair-chop than a haircut.

What a trip it was. Not only was I about to be forced to sit betwen two strange men in the only available seat (in a small crawl space) but everyone around me was speaking in Vietnamese. My hair dresser took pity on me and allowed me to sit in the salon chair next to where she was working, but I felt so out of the loop. Not only am I the minority when I walk in there, but it's pretty obvious I have no idea what the people around me are saying, so I just try to blend in and throw out an occasional smile every now and then. However, I'm sure that being the only blondie in there draws a few stares.

After patiently waiting, it was finally my turn. She takes me back to the sink to wash my hair, pops up the foot rest on the little recliner, and automatically I feel like my giraffe legs are sticking way out there and I find myself curling my feet up every time someone passes by. Fabulous.

Anywho, I was finally starting to relax due to the calming head rub when the next thing I know---water is spraying all over my face and shirt! As I'm sputtering for air trying to figure out what just happened, a towel is placed over my face to dry the droplets. At the rate she was going, I was expecting to see raccoon eyes when I looked in the mirror. Apparently the few hairs I lost during the rinse startled her and nearly gave her cardiac arrest as she couldn't believe I was losing my hair. (It was less than 10 hairs, come on.) Anyhow, the "shock" of it all caused her to completely drop the sprayer hose and that's when it went kamikaze. So with a wet head and a wet shirt we move onto the actual haircut. I thought she'd done okay, despite the fact that it seemed shorter than I'd expected, but little did I know that my opinion would drastically change come morning.

I stood staring into the mirror this morning, shocked at what I saw. It appears as though one side of my hair is one inch longer than the other side. WHAT?! (That was about all I could come up with this morning.)

I'm not a Chrissy doll with a knob sticking out of my back that can be turned to make my hair instantly longer! It'll grow back, right?!

No comments: