Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dead Air

Oh my goodness, I was sitting here at my desk tinkering around when the phone rang a few minutes ago. As it IS in my job description to answer the phones here at the office I picked it up and after going through my little intro schpeel..........there was nothing. Nothing but dead air. I could tell someone was on the other end but they weren't saying a thing! Before I picked up the phone, I noticed that the screen read "Gilbert, AZ" and many times when that comes across the phone, I know it's a cell phone, aka-a family member. So, as I sat there listening to somebody breathing on the other end of the line I started to think it was my dad up to his prank calling again, so I thought I'd wait him out. So I casually leaned back in my chair with a smirk on my face. I figured two could play this game. I let about 10 seconds of silence go by and in the back of my mind I started to think to myself, what if this is a client?! I can never tell! So, I casually say into the phone (probably a bit too loud), "Hello???" and immediately I recognize the clients voice. Apparently, he never heard me say my intro, or he just thought he'd hang out for awhile. Nice. I can only imagine what could've happened if I continued that "cone of silence".

And let me tell you, it doesn't help anything when my Dad calls (frequently) and disguises his voice. He seems to take great joy in confusing me. It freaks me out because half the time I think I know it's him and yet the other half of me has that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind and I think---what if it's NOT him.

Why must they mess with my mind?! Pahhhh!

No comments: