Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Catch A Wave

She might have caught a wave but she was definitely not sitting on top of the world. (as the song so says)

I was visiting the Schlitterbahn water park this weekend and found myself enjoying the Torrent River ride. It's like a big canal loop that sends waves through every 10 seconds or so and you can either ride them or float over them in your inner tube. Neither of those options worked out for one lady in particular. We had just come around a bend in the loop and I took notice of a lady sprawled out on her little raft. She looked oh so comfortable and relaxed and I could just see her sigh of contentment and the complete let down of her guard. So peaceful. Now, we might not have been at the ocean but words my Grandpa told me years ago came springing back to my mind. He said something along the lines of "never turn your back on the water". In other words, you should not let down your guard. (A little foreshadowing?-----maybe so.)

So as my friend and I are floating along the river waiting for the next wave to come, I watch as the lady became totally relaxed on her raft. She seemed so peaceful, enjoying the sun above her and the cool waters below her, and THEN I looked over my shoulder. I saw a wave riding up behind us and I nudged my friend and told him to "watch this" while I nonchalantly nodded my head in her direction. Terrible I know, but what can you do, you ARE at a water park. We were meant to get wet, right?!

As my friend and I jump over the wave and clear it we look ahead and see the wave totally envelop her. Typically you would think that she would've just floated right over it, but I think in her shock of being caught unaware she wound up rolling herself off the raft and came up sputtering for air completely soaked. My friend and I couldn't contain our laughter. (Of course we quickly turned our heads and pretended to be deep in conversation, laughing at something one of us had said, wink-wink.) But oh how funny it was.

Guess Grandpa knew a little something after all..........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have been looking at the wrong lady because the lady i saw didn't flip over. but it was still funny watching her.

Timmy

Judith Anne said...

Well, YOU sure were laughing. Pahhh! Maybe "flip over" wasn't the right word choice. I know I saw the wave pretty much run over her and then she did some kind of body twist in her shocked state which rolled her off the inner tube. Either way, it was quite comical. The eyes found entertainment no matter which way they roamed.

Good times!