Thursday, June 5, 2008

Happy Trails To You

I am happily trading in my tennis shoes for a pair of flip flops this week. This weekend found myself (and a few others) down at the Grand Canyon on the Havasupai Trail putting in a good 30+ miles. We're not just talking about hiking my friend, oh no. We're talking bouldering, scurrying, and climbing over rocks, trails, and waterfalls.

It was a weekend of "pretend", as I like to call it. Pretend the waste in the port-a-potty's really wasn't that high (wishful thinking), pretend the dirt underneath my nails really wasn't that bad, and pretend the water in the creek and falls really wasn't that cold. I have only one word to describe bathing in cold water---brrrrrr! It was a weekend that demanded you to forget about everyday cleanliness that most of us insist on and---just live.

We had a prime piece of real estate picked out for our tent, or so I thought. I seemed to pay no attention to the fact that we were on a slight slant. I moved a few boulders and we set up camp. All I could see was a perfect lil' campsite. That night as we were sleeping in our tent, I woke up and found myself eye level to my sisters hip. During the night, gravity was truly at work and I somehow managed to slide halfway down the tent still curled in a little ball. No thanks to the slant I'm sure. Pahhh!

Here are a few of the highlights to the weekend:
-Almost got run over by a wild train of pack mules
-Saw port-a-potty's airlifted by helicopter (believe it!)
-Almost busted a knee-cap trying to cross a creek (Hurt like heck and all I could do was laugh, what's wrong with me?!)
-Heard some boulders fall off of the cliffs across the campground
-Was serenaded in the evenings by frogs that sounded like goats
-Had a giggle fest in the girls tent
-Made new friends, and last but not least.................
-Saw some of the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen in my life. They beckon you to dive in, despite the fact that the water has got to be running at 60 degrees or less

This weekend reminded me of 3 things I take for granted: running water, hot water, and a soft bed.

Can't wait to head back next year! Tahhh! Happy trails to you.............

No comments: