Friday, May 23, 2008

Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head

That's what I was singing at my brother's high school graduation last night. Oh what fun we had! Can you believe that it rained in the sunniest city in Arizona on graduation day? I think I was in awe of the fact that it was raining this late in May. Unbelievable! It hasn't rained at an Arizona graduation in over 20 years. We're used to sitting on hot bleachers, the sun in your eyes, and sweat dripping down your back. Quite the opposite it was last night!

It seemed that you couldn't squeeze close enough to your neighbor in the hopes of conserving a little heat. As the rain began to fall, umbrellas popped up everywhere throughout the stands. Towels, blankets, and quilts were dispersed between the family, all in the hopes of staying dry and keeping warm. It was quite the sight to see. Never in my life have I been to a graduation quite that cold and yet so entertaining. I think we were having more fun in the stands than the graduates on the football field.

The comments were flying and the laughter was bubbling. It was a comedy of sorts with people tipping their umbrellas with the slightest move and sending water cascading down onto those in front of them. (Unintentionally mind you, wink-wink.) And of course a few unlucky people had malfunctioning umbrellas that decided to open up the wrong way, so they were actually catching rain rather than deflecting it. As the rain continued to drizzle down on our poor heads during the ceremony we were cheered with the fact that the authorities decided to cut the ceremony short, minus a few choral sing-along songs and orchestral pieces.

I have to say that despite the rain, that has been one of the best graduations I've ever been to. The rain seemed to bring people closer together, literally, and created a cozy atmosphere despite the cold breeze, the damp clothes and the wet hair. And to top it off, they even had FIREWORKS! I felt like I was caught up in the moment and it wasn't even my graduation. Tahhhh! Who has fireworks at thier graduation?! These kids were too cool for school! I'm sure I had a big dopey smile on my face but I couldn't help it. It was awesome!

All I have left to say is a BIG congrats to my brother J-man. You did it!!!

No comments: