Monday, September 15, 2008

"There's a flake on your lip."

How do you react to that?!

How would you feel if some old man came up to you and told you there was a flake on your lip?

Well, that's exactly what happened to me on Sunday night at a church potluck. We were all standing around afterwards in groups talking, and one elderly man came up to me. He is well known around the church, all you have to do is say this person's name and everyone knows exactly who you are talking about. He's definitely got a name for himself---an interesting character, he is. Anywho, he came up to me and joined in our conversation and after a minute or so of having him stand a little too close for comfort, I noticed him staring at my face. I glanced over at him as I casually took a step back and that's when he decided to pop in with this comment: "There's a flake on your lip." Just like that. (Except he's got a smile on his face.) Immediately my eyes go wide. I begin to panic, thinking the worst, that there's a flake of dried food on my lip or stuck in between my teeth. He continues staring at me intently and I'm getting rather embarrassed that this "flake" is drawing so much unwanted attention. I raise my hand to cover my mouth and attempt to quickly wipe away this mystery flake on my face. His brow furrows and he tells me not to wipe it away because it was so pretty. Turns out, the "flake" was just a piece of glitter resting above my lip. Must have been a sparkle from my lotion or something. GOOD NIGHT! Way to scare a girl, ol' fella!

No comments: