Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Giggle Fest

Just when you think your kids aren't listening, they surprise you. For those of you who don't know me very well, I love to laugh. The only problem with my laughter is that once I get going, I'm helpless. It's not always easy for me to snap out of my laugh attack. Today was no exception.

I was reading a new book to my classroom called "Operation: Dump the Chump". Just the name of the story gets my kids giggly. It's a story about a boy who wants to get rid of his younger brother for a whole summer because he is constantly driving him nuts-o. During oral reading today, I came to a part of the story that once again drove my students to burst into giggles, which led ME to a near fit of giggles. And guess what the topic of the story was at that point? Yep, underwear. (See story FRUIT of the LOOM)

The older brother in the story has absolutely had it with his brother and has decided to set a plan into motion that will get his brother shipped off for the summer. Oscar lists many reasons why he is ready to "dump the chump" and secretly begins the start to his operation.

At one point he begins to explain about a time when his brother made him so mad, he took off running outside to chase him down and pummel him good. His younger brother Robbie had been peeping in his window while he tried on his new underwear as he was sporting his new look in front of the mirror. (enter the children's giggles) Robbie let out a "va-va-va-voom" followed by a whistle, and that was the last straw for Oscar. He finally gets outside and clobbered his brother good, which made his brother wail, which in turn brought the next door neighbors out. At that point, Oscar finally realized he was still wearing his underwear.

And the story continues: (excerpt from the book)

---I was so embarrassed, I didn't know what to do. And neither did the Farley's. So we all just stood there staring at each other.

Finally I just kind of waved at them and said, "Hi there, Mr. and Mrs. Farley. How do you like my new underwear?"

Mrs. Farley didn't answer. She just shook her head real disgustedly and walked back to her house. But Mr. Farley took a few steps in my direction and put his hands on his hips. "For heavens sake, Oscar," he said. "Don't you think you're rather old to be running around the neighborhood in your panties?"

Panties! The guy actually called my underwear panties! I've never really forgiven Mr. Farley for that.---

As I was reading that portion, I didn't really think the kids were listening THAT well to what was going on, but oh how wrong I was. They burst into a fit of giggles over that part and I couldn't help but laugh too. The nerve of that man calling his underwear panties! Heaven forbid, hahaha. (At least that's what the kids were thinking.) Just the fact that they were laughing wanted to make ME laugh! You have no idea how hard it is for me to continue reading when my face is breaking into a huge smile. It's tough trying to force words through my lips when a grin is being stretched from ear to ear. I feel like Elast-a-girl. I tried to muster through it as best I could and regain my composure so I could continue................a silly story indeed,but oh so entertaining for the kids.

There's no possible way you can just breeze through that passage without cracking a grin. I just can't help it though, the kids are glued to my every word. Darn my dramatic flair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see that grin of yours. :)

Judith Anne said...

That grin is waiting to be seen.........hahaha!