Sunday, September 7, 2008

Celery Lips

Last night I was out baby-sitting my lil' 10 year old friend and we decided to go out for pizza. We arrived to the restaurant and while we talked about what kind of pizza we wanted to have made, she informed me that she also wanted to have some wings. I continued to ask her which kind she wanted and she replied back with the "mild". Well, as there is no "mild" on the menu, I had to just assume that out of the three styles listed, the choice in the middle was the milder of the three. After clarifying with the waiter, our order was off and the wings were delivered.

I've had my fair share of mild tasting wings and last night I wasn't feeling up to the zip that they leave on your tongue so I let my little charge dig in. We were chatting back and forth and as I watched her I noticed that after she ate a wing or two she would take a bite of celery and would rub the remaining celery stick over her lips in a fashionable style. I didn't question what she was doing and just figured she was pretending to put on lipstick. Goofy kid stuff, right?! After she had her fill of mild wings I asked her how they were and she told me they were a bit spicy and they left a tingle on her lips. I glanced away for a second and when I looked back over at her, she had dressing smeared all over her lips, thanks to the helpful celery stick, and I asked her what she was doing. She informed me that the dressing helped to cool down her lips, and she would follow through with a run over by the celery because the cool, crisp water in the celery pieces helped to put out the fire.

And here I thought she was just playing beauty parlor.

No comments: