Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bella the Monkey

WHEN, I ask you, did my sisters dog turn into a tree climbing monkey?!

We went down to the shelter on Saturday to get a rabies shot for Bella, and as my sister was up at the counter I was sitting on a bench trying to comfort poor Bella. She seemed to have caught a case of the shakes. Her little black legs were shaking like limp noodles. If only you could have seen it. It must have been all the smells she was taking in that made her nervous, her nose was working overtime. I, personally, have never seen that place so empty. Other than another person up at the counter we were the only ones in there. No other animals were in the lobby. Now that's a first!

Anywho, all I did was look away for a second from where Bella was seated beside me, and that's all it took for her to turn into a raving monkey. In a matter of seconds she went from having her two front paws on my lap to sinking her claws into my thighs and pulling herself up onto my lap, monkey style. I have never seen a dog do a pull up, but this had to be about the closest thing to one I'd ever seen. Ferocious pain went shooting up my legs as her claws dug in. There was no casual jump to assist her voyage to my lap, oh no, it was her brute strength that pulled her up. Talk about abs of steel. Never in my life have I seen a dog do a stomach curl like that. By the time I realized what she was doing it was too late. The damage had already been done, the scratches were seared into my legs. All I saw out of the corner of my eye was a black ball of fur clinging to my legs for dear life.

At that moment, I didn't care about the scratches. I was sitting there in awe and shock at what Bella had just done. (Plus the fact that I was probably more concerned about her going to the bathroom on my lap since she was soooooo nervous.)

No comments: