Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fruit of the Loom

Up until today, I never thought Fruit of the Loom was that funny............UNTIL I read a line from a book today in front of my 4th grade students.

I began reading our new story today during oral reading and nearly lost it. The book is based on a true story of the tornadoes that ravaged Nebraska in the summer of 1980. The story is written in first person by a 10 year old boy as he explains in his own words what happened on that frightful day.

The boy went on to explain how he won a raffle that morning after finishing a bike race in nearly last place. Let's just say that winning the raffle was definitely the upside to his morning. As I continued reading, the students were listening intently to the boys description of all the cool prizes he had won in that raffle. Not only did he win a brand new Schwinn Stingray, but he won "........a three pack of Fruit of the Loom white underwear...." Oh boy---as soon as I read that line the classroom erupted in a fit of giggles and shy, sly glances to others sitting around them. As soon as I voiced the words to that line I wanted to LAUGH because I could just imagine what the kids were going to do. I couldn't help the smile that broke across my face. It was too funny and I know my voice shook with laughter as I tried to get myself under control again. It took a lot of will power to wipe that smile off of my face and continue on with the story.

Never knew Fruit of the Loom could be so funny! But then again, I don't typically talk underwear with my students. Hahaha!

No comments: