Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dizzy Me

Every day in the 4th grade classroom, we have something we like to call---oral reading. The students are allowed to work on their certain tasks silently while I walk around the classroom reading orally. A no brainer, right?!

Well, today as I was walking around the classroom I found myself almost falling into a desk. Oh yes. You see, as I walk around the classroom I am staring so intently at the words I am to be reading and every so often my eyes begin to roam off the page and I catch a glimpse of the floor. As I prefer to move around while orally reading, my intense focus on the words in front of me clashes with the floor that appears to be swirling below me. Things become fuzzy and the room begins to swirl in circles as I desperately try to channel my focus back onto the page I am reading while attempting to regain my balance. (All in the hopes of preventing students with a story to share at the dinner table.) I stand there frozen in time, madly blinking my eyes trying to regain my focus, while the students stare at me in anticipation, believing that I have added yet another dramatic pause to the story.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have almost fallen victim (no pun intended, haha) to the swirling floor.

No comments: