Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wax Museum

We decided not to let a little power outage rain on our parade last night so we started up a family card game at the dining table. We lit the candles and dealt the cards. As we began to play, we noticed that 3 moths were hanging out above the table, much to my sister's dismay. We paid them no attention and began playing when all of a sudden, one kamikaze moth flew in from left field and dive bombed the lit candle sitting closest to my dad. The poor little moth didn't even have a chance. He landed right next to the flame in the melted wax, and although he tried to fly away the damage had already been done. I felt so sorry for the little guy and I jumped out of my chair from across the table to do the nice thing and blow out the candle that was still burning within a hairs distance from him. I leaned across the table and as I attempted to blow out the candle, I quickly learned once again that I can NOT blow out a candle like a normal person. Not only did it take me too long to blow the sputtering candle out, but I wound up blowing the flame right across the moth's backside in the process. I was just trying to help! Unfortunately, the poor critter was encased in wax. Needless to say---he didn't make it.

I did not want to have another "flight to the flame" episode with the other two moths still above the table so I caught them and released them outside. Yep, they're the lucky ones alright.

No comments: