Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Name Game

Yesterday was my first day of student teaching in a 4th grade classroom. We have 16 boys and 10 girls, and I'm happy to report that I have memorized each and every one of their names, despite the opinion of one redheaded boy. I was speaking to one boy in particular, called him by name, and praised his work. The little redheaded boy sitting next to him spoke up and informed me of the "correct" way to say this little boys name. I said, "Yes, his name is _____." I repeated his name exactly how it was supposed to be pronounced. The redhead looked at me and said, "No, his name is _____. He's Chinese!" Number One-I know he is Chinese, and Number Two-I said his name correctly. I felt like telling my little redhead, "NO, maybe YOU aren't listening clearly." Of course I didn't say that, but I sure thought it. That lil redhead is too smart for his own good. While on the playground later that day, I made the mistake of asking him who his friend was and he spouted off some Chinese name. I pronounced it perfectly but he once again looked at me as though he was exasperated and said, "No, his name is _____." Fabulous.

A child with "hearing" problems, wink-wink.

No comments: