Friday, August 8, 2008

A Pet To Call My Own

I have lost all three of my beloved pets in the last three years. They all got old together and to put it plainly---I miss them. I miss having that furry ball of lovable goodness to cuddle with, but with student teaching beginning it's just not the right time for me to get a new dog or cat.

Well, as I've been working in a classroom this past week, I've enjoyed catching glimpses of our class pets. Two little gerbils named Chip and Dale. You can't help but smile at their little antics as you see them throughout the day scritching around in their chewed toilet paper rolls and burrowing down in their wood chips. After the children went home this afternoon, I decided to get a closer look at the two little rodents that have captured the attention and hearts of all the students. As I leaned over the cage and watched Chip and Dale sleeping peacefully, for a moment I thought---wow, maybe I should get a little gerbil of my own. I was pondering that thought as I leaned in for a closer look and then it HIT me, like walking into a cloud. It was the unmistakable smell of soiled wood chips. All thoughts of ever having a rodent as a pet went flying out the window. There's no way.

A fleeting moment indeed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judith.....you'll have a pet soon. i know it's hard at times when you just want to curl up and cuddle with your pet. but you really thought you could do that with a gerbil?! i'll let you cuddle with my pet in Dec. but not too long cause i get jealous haha. :)

Judith Anne said...

Cuddling with a gerbil.....not quite, but it would've been something small and soft to hold and say "awwww, how cute". BUT, I couldn't get over that smell so that's that, hahaha. I'll stick with larger mammals.

Me cuddling with your pet?! I'd be surprised if he'd sit still long enough for me, hahaha! But we'll see....

Anonymous said...

Oh he will you just need that special touch to calm him down...

Judith Anne said...

That "special touch"?! You mean wrapping him in your arms and telling him to, "Just chill..."?! Yes, because that works so well.

HaHaHaHaHa!