Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ants aren't quite in the pants.....

We were in the classroom today with our 4th graders, and we'd just come in from recess about 15-20 minutes earlier, when all of a sudden I felt something crawling around on my chest. (Inside the shirt!) I immediately got that look on my face where I try not to freak out and attempt to handle the situation calmly. I carefully pulled my shirt away from my skin and glanced down to see what I could find. There squirming around underneath my clothes was some kind of QUEEN ANT! Time for a freak out! As I was standing in the middle of the classroom I quickly popped my head up to see if anyone had noticed. Obviously I couldn't shake out my shirt with all those little eyes there, so I tried to do the next best thing. I casually brought my arm up across my chest and tried to crush the bug underneath my shirt. After a few forceful crushes and rolls of the arm I thought maybe that would be it. Not quite! I still felt movement and after taking another peek I knew I needed to get this thing out NOW. The attempt to crush the little critter seemed to only make it more agitated, and I wasn't comfortable with it squirming around down there, as I did not want to get bit. So, I quietly snuck out into the hallway, did a double take to make sure no one would see, and then popped it out from the top of my shirt. Fabulous!

I was ant free! I hope they don't have any hidden cameras at that school............

No comments: