Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dueling Harmonicas

Last week found me enjoying time with my family up in the mountains. So peaceful, so relaxing, so fun.................and so much laughter. Especially on talent night. LOL!

There were puppet shows, poems debuted, and karaoke singing but nothing made me laugh more than the duel of harmonicas I had with my 4 year old cousin.

We were in between talent acts and there was a lull of activity in the room. From across the couch I saw my older cousin give his harmonica to his son. The lil guy let out one solid note on the silver pieced instrument. I knew the lil guy didn't know that I had a harmonica as well. So I, from across the room, let out a note or two and watched to see his reaction. His head snapped up and his eyes immediately roamed the room to place where the sound was coming from. We locked eyes and it was ON!

He'd play a little tune of his own and then pause to hear what I had to play. He played that harmonica like he was born doing it. He looked like an aged old man, ripping a song on his old standby, ready to do a jig with his toe-tapping tune. When he got up off the couch and began to wander over in my direction I think my heart picked up pace and I actually got a little nervous at the challenge on the youngsters face. Never have I seen such fire in his eyes! Such spirit! LOL!

If only you could have seen the way he walked up to me, puffing his cheeks in and out, sliding his little lips up and down, back and forth over that harmonica. It left me speechless and it didn't help when he started bouncing his legs up and down at the knees to the sound of his own song. I was laughing so hard I had tears springing from my eyes.

Louisiana back porch child prodigy? I think it's in the works.

HA!

No comments: