Sunday, February 22, 2009

Just Like Grandpa

The other night I was out baby-sitting and as time ticked away I was beginning to realize that it was NOT going to be an "early" night return like her parents had presumed before they'd left the house. After passing the midnight hour and no still no sign of return I decided to close my eyes and catch a few winks if possible. However, before I laid down I grabbed my eye drops out of my purse for when I woke up. You see, if you fall asleep with your contacts on and then wake up it's like your eyes are glued shut. The once smooth and moist contact turns into a sticky blob. I typically wind up blinking my eyes furiously to try and moisten my contact lens while groping around for my eye drops all the while hoping that my contacts don't fall out.

I wanted to prevent that picture from happening last night so I decided to pull out my little eye drop bottle before I fell asleep that way I'd be ready to go. So there I was, holding on tightly to that little bottle of eye drops while I drifted away into sleep.

I woke up after a little while and the parents were still a no show so I decided to close my eyes again. Before I did that however, I noticed my contacts felt really dry and decided to put some drops in them. While half asleep, I remembered the bottle was still clutched tightly in my hand so I unscrewed the cap and raised my hand. I waited for that first drop to fall into my parched eye and when it finally made contact, only one thought came to mind...................I HAD TURNED INTO MY GRANDPA! Pahhhhh! No, not really, but for a split second I had done something totally grandpa-ish. Those drops had been warmed by my body heat and had turned into something slick. As I was expecting some cool relief for my eye, the warm touch shocked me a little.

You see, every time we go back to visit my grandpa he always seems to ask ME to put in his nightly eye drops. It's not that I mind doing things for my grandpa, because I don't, but it's the fact that putting in his eye drops is something he is capable of doing himself. Anywho, when it comes to grandpa and his eye drops you can't just put them in. He feels you have to warm them up with body heat before they go anywhere near his eyes. After he sits on them for about 15 minutes he'll send a holler out for me to tell me he's ready. (You thought I was joking?!) He'll place the bottle to his lips to check the temperature and when it's to his liking he'll hand it over and I'll drop away.

I love my grandpa but the picture of his big bushy eyebrow and his big eye looking up and down and all around waiting for that drop to fall came rushing back to me last night as I sat there on the couch. I definitely wasn't expecting a WARM eye drop to plop into my eye. I had turned into my grandpa for one quick second without even trying, hahaha.

If only my dad knew! LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is Hilarious!! I still think it's funny that G-pa asks you to put in his drops when you're the squeamishy one. Or at least used to be, but since you gagged on envelopes I'm guessing some of that still goes. LOL

Judith Anne said...

No doubt! I don't know what it is about looking into that big eye of his, but......it just makes my stomach squirm. LOL!