Thursday, February 19, 2009

Who ARE You

I was at the grocery store the other evening with my dad, and as he was chatting it up with the cashier I went ahead and pushed the cart past him to the end of the check-out line. As I pulled the cart to a stop, I couldn't help but notice the little girl standing at the end of our line about 3 feet from me. She was a short lil' thing, maybe about 6 or 7, and I couldn't help but notice that she was staring at me. I kind of gave her a smile and tilted my head a little with a curious look. She just stood there a few feet away..........staring at me intently. She didn't budge. I couldn't help but feel that she looked awfully familiar but I couldn't place her. Who was this mystery child standing at the end of our check-out line staring back at me?! Kind of creepy.

I thought it rather strange of the child and just tried to ignore it, especially since she really didn't give me a smile back. My dad and I finished up our dealings at the register and were ready to head out so I turned around to push the cart and there she was. Still there, minutes later, staring at me. Awkward. As we rolled past her I gave her a smile and a little wave. She said not a word but just stared at me with her big brown eyes.

Then it dawned on me! I knew where I'd seen her before. I was the substitute for her unruly 2nd grade class a few weeks ago. I even remembered her name, although a little too late to go start a conversation with her.

Maybe she was trying to give me a staredown, I dunno....... (someone should inform her that she would NOT win......LOL)

No comments: