Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Awkward......

I found myself subbing at a new school yesterday and the class I was visiting had a student teacher. I was just the extra presence in the room in case things got out of control. Anywho, when the students were dropped off for lunch I told the student teacher that I was just planning on heading back to the classroom to sit and she could do whatever her normal routine was. She quickly invited me to join her and the rest of the 3rd grade teachers in the lounge where they eat lunch. Well, as I didn't know a single one of them real well, other than the student teacher, I told her I would check on a few things in the classroom and then if I had time I'd be back. Well, I didn't want to seem rude by not showing up so I wound up returning to the lounge a minute later.

As I walked in I grabbed a chair around the round table and sat down with a few other gals. The table was on its way to quickly filling up and I just wanted something to divert my attention to rather than allowing my eyese to roam around the lounge aimlessly. I saw a stack of blue fliers on the table in front of one of the other gals and I leaned across the table and picked one up. I thought the office had placed a bunch of fliers in there for the teachers to pick up if it was of interest. I figured it would at least be a diversion for me since I felt so out of place in there.

I was introduced to a few of the ladies, but other than that I had nothing to add to the conversation. I would throw a glance to that blue sheet in front of me every time I felt like I needed to pretend like I had something to do. Well, as the minutes drug on, another teacher joined the table and sat next to me. I couldn't help but notice that she too had a blue stack of fliers. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME, that pile of fliers I first saw on the table weren't just randomly placed there, they were sitting directly in front of a blonde teacher who had probably just picked them up from her mailbox. No wonder she kind of gave me a snippy look! I nonchalantly scooted the flier back over to her stack as though I knew all along that those fliers belonged to her class. Awkward. For real!

Oh how I wish I'd just gone back to the classroom. Pahhhhhh!

No comments: