Monday, January 12, 2009

Open the Door

As the Arizona Cardinals have had an outstanding season this year, my dad has decided to show his team spirit and support by placing his window Cardinals flag on his truck. Now, it's not the typical flag size you see blowing on people's automobiles as they whiz by. His is a mini flag that he got free at a Cardinals game this season. It's probably a 5 x 7". (He pulled it out of his drawer. Pahhhhh!) Anywho, he is rocking that flag and I know he enjoys watching it blow in the breeze as he drives about town. I even saw him tweak his side mirror so he could check it out. Soooo funny!

Well, we were on our way home from lunch on Sunday and as I looked up and out my window to see the little flag, I noticed it was twisted up. Something was terribly wrong with it. I knew I couldn't roll down my window because the flag would pop off the window and be left in the dust. Dad tweaked his mirror so he could see it better and all I heard him say was, "Open your door." At that point, all I could think of was that he expected me to open the door, stand up, lean over the truck door, and use my fingers to untwist the flag. Was he crazy?! As I was trying to comprehend what he "expected" me to do (or I should say, what I "thought" he wanted me to do and all that opening the door entailed) I continued to hear him say, "Open your door. OPEN your door." I don't know what my problem was but my mind was getting stuck over the idea that he wanted me to pull a Spider Man and free the flag by hanging out the door.

Amid all the commotion, it finally dawned on me what he wanted me to do. Open the door!!! Hello. With his last, "OPEN THE DOOR!" comment, (and yes, they were getting louder, haha, not that I blame him) I realized it was a simple fix. All I had to do was open the door and the flag would be free flyin! Who's a moron?! Pahhhhhh! I quickly opened the door a few inches and closed it. The Cardinals flag was finally free and spreading the Cardinal power once again. As it was no longer an embarrassment to my dad, he was a happy camper. He's proud of that lil' flag.

As we were loading up from the restaurant, I apparently shut the flag in the door as I got in. My bad. The whole episode sure made us laugh hysterically though. At least Mom, my sister and I were. Dad was just trying to get a grip after dealing with a daughter who just happened to have a blonde moment. Tahhhhh!

Seriously, what was I thinking?! Like my dad would want me to hang out the truck door. As if!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing all over again at the memory of dad getting more and more agitated about you not opening your door to let his baby fly free!! Truly a hilarious moment.

Judith Anne said...

Truly, IT WAS!!! I was laughing so hard I was nearly crying when it all went down. Cardinal power, lol. Let that baby fly!

Thank you for posting a comment!