Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Toilet in Distress

As I walked into the restroom earlier today, I KNOW a look of alarm passed over my features at the disturbing noises I was hearing. It sounded as though someone was having a rough go of it and I was caught in an awkward pause for a second or two while trying to figure out if I should come back later. Well, I decided to stay and proceed with caution. As I came around the wall I noticed that both the stall doors were open. Those noises were NOT human, thank goodness. I carefully eased the door open to the stall that was making such horrendous noises, afraid at what I might find. As I peered over the rim of the toilet bowl, I'm sure my eyes were round as I looked on in confusion. The toilet sounded as though it was still running, but what really shocked me were the bubbles that continued racing through the pipes and being released into the bowl. The toilet sounded like it was gurgling, moaning, and choking to death on water, all at the same time. All I could think of was what exactly was causing those bubbles. Mice in the toilet? A snake in the pipe? (Truly, it's happened before.)

I eased over to the next stall and just wanted to make it out of there before the toilet next door blew up. Chaaaaa! However, my curiosity got the best of me and after washing up I went in to see the toilet in distress one more time. Even after checking out the water box on the toilet, I was still perplexed. So, as I ascertained the situation, I decided to get a second opinion. I grabbed my sister from her office so she could come check it out. As we were both standing there staring at the bubbling toilet, she walks over to the drooping toilet handle and lifts it up. Within seconds the death gurgling ceased and the bubbles were no more.

Why didn't I see that?! Just fabulous.

No comments: