Friday, July 18, 2008

A Prayer to Remember

As is customary in our house, we sit down together for dinner as a family and one of us will offer up a prayer over the meal. Earlier this week my dad asked my younger brother to pray over the meal, and it seemed like no biggee. Well, as we were holding hands around the table my brother began to say grace. He started out just fine, but after a few lines into his prayer, there was a silent pause. It was as though his brain had completely shut down and he was at a loss for words. Stage fright, brother dear?! I felt like whispering to him, "Say amen........." There was a smile tugging at the corner of my mouth and I had to bite back my laughter. The next thing I know, he pops back in after a few seconds of silence and says, "And thank you for giving us another day........(pause-pause-pause).....Amen." That's a new one, hahaha! Even as he said it, I could tell he wanted to laugh at his choice of words. There was nothing wrong with the word choice, but the pausing sure made us want to giggle.

Immediately after finishing his prayer, I caught his eye and we both began to snicker. I repeated back to him his "touching prayer" in a voice that I knew would make him laugh.

Yes, dear Lord, THANK YOU for giving us........another day, wink-wink.

No comments: