Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pyrotechnic Phobia

Everybody who was anybody in Crescent City was out to prove to their neighbors on July 4th that they had the best ground firework show.

That night found us downtown at the city park to watch the city's firework show. My family and I had found a nice spot and situated ourselves on some blankets. We were making our own fun and sharing in the laughs while we patiently waited for the show to begin. I should clarify that we were waiting for the "real" show to begin because the next thing I know, some fruit loop nearby had the bright idea to start his own ground firework show.......a mere 12 feet away, if that. As I was sitting the closest to the his "little display of fire" I started to get a little nervous, as he did NOT seem like a professional. Not to mention the fact that my hair is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE! One little spark and POOF---my tumbleweed will be up in smoke. (Ever since I was little, I've been afraid of flames, but for good reason, hahaha.)

So, as I'm nervously sitting there watching the sparks fly about 3 feet into the air over my shoulder, I'm waiting in anticipation for the flames to come shooting out of that thing, as they typically do. The next thing I know, his firework falls over and it was now pointed in OUR DIRECTION! I'm surprised I didn't get whiplash from how fast I turned my head when I saw those sparks coming our way. We were all laughing at the choppy fashion of my head-bobbing and what could have been, but I tell you, there was no mistaking the fear in my eyes.

I continued glancing over my shoulder, just to keep an eye on that pyromaniacs attempt at being firework savvy. He lit off a few more in close proximity to us but I think he bought a bunch of duds as the flames and sparks did not go very high.

A blessing in disguise.

No comments: