Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mixer Mayhem

Oh how I look forward to the day when I finally have the mixer of my dreams.

I decided to make chocolate cream cheese cookies this afternoon and got out a bowl and my mixer along with all four of the ingredients needed. The hand mixer worked to perfection while mixing the cream cheese and butter and no protests came when I added the egg to the mixture. I thought to myself, "This is going to be a breeze."

I then began adding 1/3 of the cake mix at a time and THAT'S when it began to choke up. I listened to the mixer as it seemed to be mechanically struggling to mix the thick dough all together so I turned up the power. The bowl began to fly around the counter and I quickly latched onto it as I tried to manhandle the mixer. I leaned over the dough, wishing the dry ingredients would mix in properly when I began to smell something. As I willed the mixer to power up I began to smell that all to familiar burning smell. I'm not talking about overcooked food......I'm talking burning electrical equipment.

I was putting my hand mixer through hardcore boot camp with this dough and I wasn't prepared for its next move. As I was trying to prevent my hand mixer from burning up I watched in wide eyed horror as the dough worked its way up the mixer and swallowed the blades whole! Cookie dough began flying off the mixer in all directions. It's like my mind was frozen as I watched open mouthed while all of this happened and then I snapped out of it and quickly reached for the off button. As I surveyed the damage I was amazed I came out untouched. However, the walls, floors and counter weren't as lucky. They were given a nice chocolate brown spackling job.

This dough took a beating from me and the cookies turned out looking none the better. Instead of beautiful round looking cookies they look like a bunch of scraggly cow plops. Pahhhh!

No comments: