Monday, November 23, 2009

Unleavened Bread

As I was making my biscuit dough this evening I noticed that the dough was more........."bubbly" for lack of a better word. I thought it was strange but couldn't figure out what I'd done differently. I mentally ran through the recipe in my head going over every ingredient and noted that I'd put everything in that was needed. I gave up and popped them in the oven.

When I pulled them out of the oven they looked like HOCKEY PUCKS! I used baking powder, not baking soda, so I couldn't figure out why they didn't rise correctly. Right before we prayed for our dinner I heard my mom say that they looked like unleavened bread. HA! Dad began praying and I just about broke through the prayer in a laughing fit as the only thing I could picture were my flat biscuits...........the unleavened bread.

As we began serving up dinner we were all making fun of the biscuits and I couldn't figure out why they turned out the way they did. Mom looked at me with a confused look and started telling me she walked through the kitchen and snuck a piece of dough (apparently when I wasn't looking) and she said normally the baking powder leaves a bitter, metal taste on her tongue but this time it didn't so she insisted that I had to have used baking soda rather than baking powder. BREAKTHROUGH! I burst out laughing when I heard that because it all clicked together and I found it entirely too amusing. We were out of baking powder a few weeks ago so I went to the store. I stood there on the aisle looking at the two kinds---regular baking powder or aluminum free baking powder. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I'd want to eat aluminum so I purchased the metal free powder and THAT'S what went into my biscuits. Apparently the aluminum makes the difference!

No wonder Dad's always had trouble with too much metal in his blood. LOL!

No comments: