Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Sicko

A few days ago I nearly threw up when I came upon something in the backyard. I noticed something pink on the ground and when I leaned in for a closer look I saw a fleshy looking piece of mangled something laying in a rounded ball in the grass. It was a gecko that had been stripped of its skin, just like a shark attack. It-was-sick. I hoped beyond all hope that it was done by a bird, or a bird had just flown over and happened to throw it up in our yard because I truly did NOT want to believe that one of my dogs had attacked and mauled the poor lizard!

Well, believe it. Let me tell you what JUST happened. I just let the dogs in from outside and was expecting them to settle down for the night. They were following me around the house for a few minutes and when I wound up in the living room, one of my dogs disappeared and when she came back she dropped a GECKO AT MY FEET! Just like that, she dropped it on the floor and I had to do a double take. Was that really a gecko lying at my feet?! Yes, yes it was, AND it was missing its tail! I was in shock for about two seconds as realization sunk in as to what my dog had just done. I immediately began yelling, "OH! Whoa! Abbie, NO! Ohhhhh! Back! Bad girl! Ohhh my gosh! NOOO!" My aunt came flying from the kitchen thinking that my dog had bitten my toe off or something.

As I am a member of the "Catch & Release" program (for good bugs and lizards) I knew I needed to take care of the lil fella. Tahhhh! While keeping my dog at a safe distance I leaned down and cradled the gecko in my hands and quickly took him outside. As I released him back to the wild he was alive and seemed to be in tact. Phew!

Now if only I knew where that tail was...........

2 comments:

T. Russell said...

oh gross abbie! I hope my child will not suffer the same fate as the poor lizard at your house! Jk :0 She's a tough cookie. If she can deal with Satchel, she can deal with anything

Judith Anne said...

They say dogs have the cleanest mouths, but how long must you wait until their mouths are considered sanitized after they do something like that?! LOL! No, I'm sure all they will want to do is give kisses when Samantha is here. They just can't resist the cuteness!