Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Room for Three

I was on my way home this evening when I found myself trailing behind a motorcycle. There was what appeared to be 2 adults and 1 child riding the bike. After looking at the size of the 2 adults there was no way I could rationalize how a child that looked to be no more than 3 or 4 years old could squeeze in behind the woman and why on earth the child would be pushed to the back seat.

I noticed the woman (riding passenger) kept flailing her arms out to her sides as though she was having an animated conversation with the driver of the motorcycle. Every time the motorcycle hit a bump in the road my eyes flew to where the child was sitting on the back of the motorcycle. I watched as the bike bounced up and down with the road and wondered why on earth the 2 adults did not have the foresight to plant the child securely between their 2 booming bodies.

I stared intently where the child was sitting on the back seat and thought about what a wild ride that must have been for one so young. As I began to close the distance between the motorcycle and myself I realized that what I first thought was a child's helmet clinging tightly to the woman's backside was nothing more than the backrest to the motorcycle.

False alert folks. Pahhhhh!

No comments: