Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pardon.....?

I was nearly to the end of the aisle at the store today when I saw an older couple push their cart past in front of me. I smiled as they went by and noticed the older woman scanning the aisles for an item while her husband casually followed her. Before I knew it I was at the end of the aisle and the older man stopped walking and turned back around to face me. He came up to me with a smile and said something that I couldn't quite make out. Meanwhile his wife stopped pushing the cart and was staring at us expectantly.

For the life of me I couldn't tell if he had Alzheimer's or if he was just a flirty old man. I decided I'd best play along (and play it safe) so as not to hurt any feelings and kindly asked him to repeat what he'd said to me as he looked at me with bright eyes and a smile plastered on his face. He repeated his phrase in Spanish and the only word I could clearly make out was "bonita". He then told me in English that I had very beautiful eyes. What a charmer!

I still wasn't sure if he was all there or not but I humored him and smiled right back telling him thank you. His wife held out her hand to wave him on and I smiled at her and told her she better keep this one on a short leash. :)

No comments: