Friday, December 5, 2008

Name That Smell

We (brother, mother, and I) were on our way to meet my sister for lunch and my brother so graciously offered to drive. As I climbed into the backseat I was accosted by the strong sent of cologne. I wasn't sure if he was using that to cover the musty boy smell or what, but the car smelled "funny". As mom and I were being jerked around in our seats I decided to put on a little lotion and when I opened the bottle I had a mini explosion on my hands. Guess I squeezed the bottle a little too hard. Anywho, I asked my mom for a napkin and used that to wipe up the excess lotion that I didn't need. As there was no trash can around I wadded it up and left it on the floor mat figuring I'd take care of it later.

After having lunch with my sister we said our goodbye's and prepared to enter the car that smelled of "boy". As soon as the car doors were opened I was hit head on with the sweet pea fragrance. My brother climbed in and said, "Whoa, this car DOES smell funny." And Mom said something like, "Hmmm, what is that smell? It's sweet."

I knew exactly what it was that had caused the smell but they had no clue, and they had no idea why I was laughing my head off. I was close to tears! As I sat there in the backseat listening to their comments my brother piped in with, "It smells like Michael's in here." (You know---the craft store.) As he was laughing and raving about how his car smelled like a craft store, I think Mom said something about "potpourri". Listening to their comments bouncing back and forth between them regarding the "smell" brought on a whole new round of uncontrollable giggles from me and I finally had to tell them where that heavenly smell was coming from.

By the end of the drive home my brother was asking me to leave that wadded up napkin in the car as it worked as a good air freshener. Just writing this story has caused me to once again erupt in a fit of laughter. If only you could have been there!

warm car + napkin w/lotion = craft store fragrance

No comments: