Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Pole

It's not what you think.

Out on our playground we have a nice fireman's pole that is attached to the jungle gym. I don't know what came over me but I thought it would be fun to slide down the pole. Maybe I was yearning for a free-spirited day from my childhood. I don't know.

What I do know is that I climbed to the top of the playground equipment, latched onto the pole, and began my decent. YEE-OWW! All I felt was a burning in my palms and a fire in my ankle. Apparently I was a little rusty on my playground sliding techniques. I stopped sliding at mid-pole. Stuck in midair, I clung there trying to decide whether I should reposition my legs or just continue the slide and burn the remaining skin off of my palms.

While I was trying to figure out what to do next, a group of my girls began to tell me, "Just jump!" I did. I let go and dropped the remaining 2 feet to the ground. Part of me wants to tackle the pole again, just to see if I can do it correctly without getting burned. However, my common sense says unless I'm wearing full length pants and mittens-----don't bother.

I practically burned a hole in my ankle from wearing capris on the first go round. For true! I've got a nice burn mark where the skin was rolled away. The young group of girls nearby gave me some much needed sympathy though.

Hahaha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad after reading that that you're not good on the pole. i'm happy to know my girlfriend isn't very good on a pole! ;) Love ya

Anonymous said...

Two feet!! You only had to jump two feet to the ground?! You make me smile Judy - glad you're my sis!

Judith Anne said...

Don't remind me! The scab on my ankle finally came off this week from my "pole" incident.