Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Home Remedy

As I was pulling dinner out of the oven this evening, I did something I've never done in my life. I burned my hand on the wire rack! Normally I am very careful but with the way the dish was situated in the oven, among the potatoes baking on the rack, my hand just didn't have enough room and sizzle-sizzle-sizzle went the skin. I've touched hot pans before, but as I've never suffered from an oven hot burn, I didn't think much of it. The skin hurt but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until a few minutes later when it started to turn pink. So much for thinking I was untouchable.

My mom told me that ice helps so I made a makeshift ice pack with a Ziploc bag and some ice-cubes. Sweet relief! It definitely took the zing away from the burn but every time I removed the ice pack, to unfreeze my hand, the pain would start to come back.

Well, later that evening my brother and I were hanging out in my room watching a movie when he noticed I was still being bothered by the burning pain. He told me, "I'll go get you some aloe vera!" and out the door he went. At that point I was thinking he was headed for the store and I thought to myself, "Wow, how nice!" As I was getting ready to head out myself, I reached for the front door handle just as he came inside. I froze at what I saw. There in his hand was his 8 inch knife along with a foreign green object. All I could focus on was his 8 inch knife and was wondering what in the world he had been doing and why he was holding it out to me. My mind was a blank slate. I'm sure I wore a confused look on my face. Finally, it dawned on me what that mystery piece of green in his hand was. He didn't go to the store, oh no, he had gone over to our neighbors house and cut a stretch of cactus off of their aloe vera plant. Did he even ask?! I think a look of shock and amazement crossed over my face. All I could think of was---what if they find out, but rather than rake him about taking without asking, I took hold of the aloe vera from his outstretched hand and walked into the kitchen. (It's the thought that counts, right?!) Sweet lil' brother, hahaha.

I examined the piece of aloe vera trying to figure out how to get the "gel" out, and figured the sticky liquid oozing out of the slice would be enough. It looked like a yellowy, alien goo that you see on TV. I dabbed a bit onto the burn area and within seconds, the burning sensation was gone! I could have kissed my brother for his quick thinking.

I have to say I was impressed with my brother, despite the fact that he tromped over to our neighbors house and sliced a piece of cactus off their plant like he was the next Bear Grylls.

Compliments to our next door neighbors. Couldn't have done it without them.........

No comments: