Sunday, September 4, 2011

Never Say Yes

I ran into an older lady yesterday, that I have met maybe once in my life, and we started a friendly chat. I decided to take a load off my feet and pulled up a chair as we talked about this and that.

The next thing I knew she said something to me that I could not understand. Her voice danced over the sylables in a singsong tune and I couldn't understand a word she'd said. I kindly asked her to repeat herself but the same thing happened. I couldn't make sense of it other than picking up a word or two about "broid" and "towels". I was racking my brain trying to process her words and wondered if asking her a 3rd or 4th time would seem rude. In an act of stupidity I finally said, "Yes" and nodded my head.

"Oh!" she said with a surprised look on her face. I knew I had made a fatal mistake. What had I just said yes to?! With panic running through my brain I quickly said, "Well, maybe not." At that same instant my brain, which was working overtime trying to decipher what was said, put two and two together and I realized she was asking me if I had embroidered the tea towels she had gotten me for our wedding. That was a definite NO and I had to quickly play it off and explain to her that I hadn't embroidered the towels..........yet.

Why on earth do I get myself into these situations?!

No comments: