Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Produce Paranoia

I was at the local grocery store this morning to pick up items needed for new dishes. Upon entering the store I headed for the produce area first, steering the cart around displays, stopping here and there for items on my list. Normally I like to fly under the radar and be left alone while I shop but I had already been picked up on the produce man's radar upon entering the department. He offered assistance and I declined the invitation, preferring just to browse, and not a moment later I found myself in need of a price check. The produce man seemed to follow me as I moved along and was more than happy to assist. I thanked him and moved on to the fresh herbs.

I stood in front of the herb section staring at all the leafy green herbs before me. I was able to recognize the parsley and pulled out a bunch and bagged it. Next on my list was basil, however, I couldn't seem to locate the basil, nor could I see it on any of the price tags along the shelf. I saw signs for mint leaves, parsley, and cilantro but no basil. I picked up a bunch of the anonymous green thing and smelled it. I even ripped a leaf hoping to catch a whiff of basil but instead I smelled nothing. I placed it back on the shelf and hunted through the herbs that were tagged with names but found no marked basil.

I didn't know what to do and I didn't want to buy something and cook with it if it was the wrong herb. I had wasted enough time looking over herbs and I wanted an answer. I really didn't want to have to bother the produce man again so I picked up the mystery bunch and took a picture with my phone. I intended to send it to my sister for clarification on what it was. All the while I was aware that the produce man was watching me from across the department. I know he saw me snap the picture and I'm sure he thought I was a mystery shopper sent for inspection. I probably looked very conspicuous.

I decided to call my sister instead for a direct answer and I continued hovering around the herbs until I noticed the produce man making his way towards me. I thanked my sister for her guidance and snatched up the boxed basil on the shelf nearby, watching as the produce man began inspecting the array of herbs out on display.

Rest assured Mr. Produce Man, your fresh herbs looked fine and I am no mystery shopper. I'm just a girl that can't tell the difference between one green leaf and another.

I didn't have any luck in the meat department either when 3 different unwanted meat men tried to be of assistance.

So much for flying under the radar.

No comments: