Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Survival Guide

My sister and I walked into a Harbor Freight Tools store today. I had never set foot in this store before and when I thought of the name I always pictured men and tools.

That pretty much sums it up. Never have I felt so out of place. At least in Home Depot you have room to lose yourself among the aisles and blend in.

I purposefully did not wear heels with my outfit today knowing full well where I was headed on my lunch break. Despite the extra effort to tone down the outfit I was still treated like a princess. Talk about service....................pahhhh.

I was reminded of a few things today while my sister and I traversed the aisles full of men and tools. Something I like to refer to as a Quick Smart Survival Guide for the tool section. They are:

-Do not make jokes or laugh out loud as this kind of behavior draws attention to yourself (and is not appreciated by other members of your group)
-Do not stray from your party/group (strength in numbers.......remember that)
-Avoid direct eye contact unless it is a store clerk that you are trying to flag down (flash a little leg ONLY as a last resort)
-Be direct and to the point (give them an inch, they'll take a mile)

This doesn't mean throw your kindness and womanly gentleness aside but just remember to proceed with caution. Lessons I have once again been reminded of today with the goal set in mind of..........get in and get out!

No comments: