Saturday, May 21, 2011

First Time Ever.....

There is a first time for everything. Tonight was my night to be disappointed in dinner. No one to blame but myself since I was the mastermind behind it.

I started out with the best of intentions. Placing tender, break apart in your mouth, make your taste buds drool stew meat with a brown gravy over a hot bed of noodles with a side of sauteed zucchini sounded like a golden idea. How fast that opinion can change.

When I peeked in the crock pot this afternoon my heart fell when I noticed the meat was anything but tender. It had the consistency of a well done steak. Very chewy. I decided I would continue with my plans to save dinner and prepared the gravy thickener to place in the broth from the cooking meat. All that accomplished was turning the broth into a light brown pasty looking mess. It was pure liquid and it didn't thicken up as usual. I wasn't about to give up, although I should have known better than to continue, and moved on with dinner.

With the meat chunks and broth in one bowl and the zucchini and noodles adorning the table I called my husband to dinner. Gone were the dinner plates in front of us, replaced instead with soup bowls. The main dish was turning out to be more like a bland soup.

All I can say is that I applaud my husband for eating a portion of the food. The stew meat was a flop and the zucchini was bitter. I can honestly say that the leftovers made it safely into the trash can. The only bonus of cooking a dinner like that is that you don't want to eat it. Perfect if I was on a diet......but I'm not.

Perhaps we'll run out for a "snack" later tonight.

No comments: