Monday, April 20, 2009

Pur-ple

First grade math, what fun it is!

The students were doing an activity today where they take the number of the day (how many days we've been in school) and show us in their math journals all the different ways they can come up with that number. Normally it involves math equations, etc. Today's number was 157. As I was walking around the classroom checking over their work I couldn't help but notice one little girls answer. She had written:

purple + 155 = 157

I was very curious about this so I knelt down and asked her how she came up with that. How did she figure it out? I needed just a little explanation with that one, LOL. She matter-of-factly told me that purple equals 2, and then she added 155 to that to come up with a grand total of 157. Ahh-ha! Then it dawned on me! I looked at her with a smile on my face as I said, "I see! Purple has 2 syllables." So clever!

I love how little kids think! Talk about outside the box......... :)

No comments: