Monday, January 4, 2010

Flight of the Lemon

I will never again pick lemons at night.

I needed some lemons so I headed out into the dark with my flashlight, a box, and my dogs hot on my heels. They followed me as I went over to our lemon tree and watched as I set my box down. I tucked my little flashlight between my shoulder and neck and shined the light as best I could on the branches near my hand. I grabbed a lemon and started the twist technique. Basically, you twist the lemon until it pops off the branch. Well, that wasn't working so I went to plan B. I started to yank on the lemon in hopes of tearing it from the branch. I thought it was a good plan until a bird flew out of the tree and nearly hit me in the FACE! My heart nearly burst out of my chest and I'm sure I let out something similar to a panicked shriek as I grabbed my flashlight with my hand and tried to find the bird on its disturbed flight to the sky.

Unbelievable. Never again will I pick at night. LOL!

No comments: